The work of Cardiff Rivers Group involves:
- Tackling litter and waste on paths next to watercourses
- Removal of rubbish from rivers, streams and ponds
- Clearing blockages and improving water flow
- Habitat management, such as cutting back overhanging trees that collect water-borne debris and reduce light, and reducing invasive species like Himalayan Balsam
- Access and amenity improvements
- Lobbying and consulting with relevant bodies to improve the quality of the environment in South Wales
We have over 500 volunteers on our membership list, and we often partner with other local groups, such as Friends of Bute Park, Llanrumney First, ACE (Action in Caerau & Ely), Friends of Forest Farm, and Keep Grangetown Tidy.
We have a very diverse range of volunteers, from all walks of life and of all ages — our youngest volunteer is 7 and our oldest is in her 70s (her exact age is a closely guarded secret).
We hold clean-up events roughly every three weeks, which attract as many as 60 volunteers.
We have also taken part in special events such as:
- Cleaning the streets of Olympic torch route,
- Iolo’s Great Welsh Parks (Bute Park) TV programme (screened on 06/01/2013)
- Cleaning up after the Ashes, Cardiff Blues Rugby games and Varsity games.
- Supporting the clean-up after the Cardiff Mardi Gras.
- Coast Path Clean up Weekend.
- Keep Wales Tidy events in South Wales.
The number of organisations that support or partner Cardiff Rivers Group is ever-increasing. They include EMR Metal Recycling, Viridor, Cardiff Council, Cardiff Parks Services, Associated British Ports, Natural Resources Wales, Keep Wales Tidy, Llandaff Rowing Club, McDonalds, UK Patents Office (IPO) and South Wales Police.
Some of these local companies support our efforts through generously donating their scrap or other items, which we are able to sell to raise funds for tools and equipment.
See Our Partners & Supporters for more information.
CRG is now well-established as an active voluntary group that makes a real difference in Cardiff and surrounding areas. In doing so, it helps to build community spirit and engagement, assists and develops individuals, and fosters working arrangements across all sectors.
Most importantly, our volunteers have fun!